J.G. Whittier Middle School
John Greenleaf Whittier Middle School strives to be a community of learners dedicated to educating adolescents. We are preparing children for the future by providing differentiated education, which will encourage all to be responsible, active, respectful, and tolerant members of our school and society. We provide a safe atmosphere that is intellectually challenging and that recognizes the student’s physical, emotional, social, and academic needs. Frequent and open communication is encouraged to help ensure the effectiveness of the education we provide. We believe that it is the responsibility of the entire school community to share in the education of the middle-school child.
SBIRT Screening for 7th Graders
This is a reminder that our Discovery Club will be starting soon!
Before-school & after-school programs run from Tuesday, November 1 – Friday, May 26.
Please review the flyers at the links below and if interested, contact us at 978-891-7392.
Haverhill High School Academy Night
Please join Haverhill High School Faculty and Students for an informational event for middle
school parents and students regarding Academy and Extra Curricular opportunities at
Haverhill High School.
Wednesday October 19, 2016
6:00 pm – 7:30 pm
Haverhill High School
Annual Family Pasta Night!
The JG Whittier PTO is hosting our Annual Pasta Night this Wednesday, October 19, 2016 from 6-7:30 pm in the JGW Cafeteria.
Bring your family for a night of food and fun!
Each homeroom has donated themed Raffle Baskets that will be raffled off.
There is no cost for Dinner!
Hope to see all of you!
* Oct. 7 Early Release for students 11:05 am.
* Oct. 10 Holiday No School
* Oct. 11 PTO meeting 6:00 pm Staff Room
* Oct. 12 Progress Reports Issued
* Oct. 19 PTO Spaghetti Dinner 6:00 pm
* Oct. 19 Haverhill High School Academy Night/Open House @HHS
* Oct. 20 Last day to register on-line for HHS Classical Academy
* Oct. 28 Friday morning recess Cider and Donuts on sale for $1 each.
* Oct. 28 Halloween Dance 6-8 pm.
* Nov. 8 NJHS Election Day Bake Sale- Donations Needed!
JGW Cross Country Information
* Oct. 6 Grade 5 Cross Country Championship Meet will be held at Winnekenni beginning at 3:30
* Oct. 13 Grades 6, 7, 8 Cross Country Championship Meet will be held at Winnekenni beginning at 3:30
In National Junior Honor Society News
- The NJHS Yankee Candle Fundraiser begins now through Friday, Oct. 28
* Ms. Boulger will be starting an After School Art Club at JGW. Students can sign up with Ms. Boulger if they are interested
Good Morning to Everyone!
At the JG Whittier Middle School, we believe that we have the best kids and families in the world, and we try our best to serve you with pride and honor. I would like to take this opportunity to personally thank all our families for your continued support, and working with us to assist your child in reaching their utmost potential.
We believe we have created an excellent team that supports students and families in an incredibly personal way. We try each day to focus on one student, one family and one challenge at a time.
Academically, our staff utilizes their expertise and resources in striving to reach each one of your students in the most effective and creative ways possible.
Our efforts are beginning to pay off!
Here are some of the amazing results of your commitment/skills and dedication to the JG Whittier and its success……………
Thank you again for helping us to make incredible progress this past year. The best is yet to come!
2016 Test Scores Summary of Results
JG Whittier jumps 10% in state ranking, from 25 to 35 percentile! This means we passed over 10% of all middle schools statewide!
If there were no “Opt outs” for PARCC testing, (8) and we achieved the participation rate for 2 categories, as well as meeting a target for 1 sub group (missed it by 3 points) we would have achieved Level 1 status this year!
We narrowly missed achieving it, but I am confident that we will get it this year!
Proficiency Gap Narrowing (Composite Performance Index)
- ELA: CPI rose from 74.0 to 83.3, a 9.3% increase.
- Math: CPI rose from 67.1 to 70.8, a 3.7% increase.
- Science: CPI rose from 72.2 to 72.6, a .2 increase.
We received extra credit points for lowering the amount of students in the failing category, and for increasing the amount of students in the Advanced category.
- ELA: Advanced went from 4.6-8.0%
- Warning dropped from 17.4 to 9.
- Math: Advanced went from 15.1-18.9%
- Warning dropped from 25.9 to 23.7
- Science: Advanced dropped from 11.2-8.4%
- Warning dropped from 15.9 to 15.8%
- ELA: SGP rose from 26.0 to 50.0 a 24% increase.
- Math: SGP rose from 41.0 to 52.0 an 11.0% increase.
Performance Target Scores
The magic number for PTS is 75.
- All students 71
- High Needs 70
- Special Ed. 78
With your help, the JG Whittier has successfully attained one of the highest performance increases in the district this year, and it is due to everyone’s willingness to take the time needed to reach each student at their individual levels of need.
Thank you again, and congratulations on a job well done!
It is my pleasure to be able to proudly and humbly share in your success.
Brian Gill, Principal
Link to PDF document: Good morning to everyone
High School Options Book & Deadlines
Attention Parents, Family members, Guardians of 8th graders, please review these materials together with your child. The book describes all area High School Option opportunities with descriptions and where to find additional information. For private schools, SSAT test registration is underway.
Adobe Reader .PDF format: High School Options Book 2016-2017
Wednesday, October 19 HHS Academy Night at 6pm
Thursday, October 20 Deadline to register for HHS Classical Academy Exam
Saturday, November 5 HHS Classical Academy Exam at 8:30am
Tuesday, November 22 8th Grade WVT Tour
Tuesday, November 29 8th Grade HHS Tour
For questions please contact:
Jacqueline VlahosGuidance CounselorJ.G. Whittier Middle SchoolPhone: 978-374-5782Fax: 978-372-5999
Have an Amazing Summer
National Junior Honor Society Awards